BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy Year of the Rabbit!

Have I ever told you how much I enjoy learning about other cultures? For Christmas this year we had several parties revolving around Christmas celebrations in other countries. It's actually how I stumbled on this little gem:

On Christmas Eve in Sweden everyone drops EVERYTHING to watch it. So, this year we watched it. We also did some Mexican, German, and Italian traditions. Next year I plan on doing some more. It's been fun to learn about this stuff and even more fun to teach Hailey about it.
We have had a fun couple of months doing some other holiday stuff and mixing it up with holidays from other countries. So today we celebrated Chinese New Year. I know it was yesterday but Alex had school. We started out with a homemade Chinese feast. Chinese Salad, egg drop soup, egg rolls, sweet and sour, fried rice, and lemon chicken all made from scratch. (no mixes, my friends) And it was delicious. I forgot to take pictures of that part though. After that we popped open some crackers that we bought at an after new years sale, ate some store bought Asian goodies, and played some games. Then we all got Lucky Red envelopes. Hailey is already dreaming of what to buy with her $1.
So excited for her cracker!

 All of our goodies.
 I LOVE this candy. If you haven't had it, you should go buy some.
Matthew is obviously very excited about his crown.
 Amanda playing an intense game of tiddlywinks.
 "Please just feed me mom." He was not that interested in what was going on.
 The conversation heart stacking game.

 My dad and Steven tied at 16. They are master stackers.
 Hailey was really getting into it too.
 I found this Chinese New Year/Valentines fusion game idea on FamilyFun.com, it's much harder than it looks.
 Steven and Alex loving each other a little too much.

2 comments:

Ann said...

You are such a great Mom!!! It looked like a lot of fun!!!!!!!!

Allison said...

I wish I'd thought to do something to celebrate Chinese New Year! Maybe next year! I'm impressed that you made all that Chinese food from scratch! And the stacking hearts game looks like fun. In fact, I think I'm going to steal it to do today with my Girl Scouts!