If you've ever been to our house, you've probably noticed the Lord of the Rings decor subtly placed around. If you've ever looked at our books shelves you've probably noticed the large amount of books that either were written by Tolkien, inspired by Tolkien, or inspiring to Tolkien's writing. If you've ever looked at our games, you've probably noticed that we have every LOTR themed game ever made. If you've ever looked at my dad's music, you've probably noticed that he has a whole genre dedicated to Tolkien songs.
I was raised on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSHLGnexe-w
and this:
Both of which still creep me out.
I thought it was normal for a family to bust out with this song:
(how I love Leonard Nimoy)
When the new movies came out, my parents took us to the midnight showings.
My dad once decided that reading The Silmarillion out loud would be a great family bonding activity. (We all had very nice naps, while he read)
Despite my dad's obsession. I always refused to read the books.
Until now.
I don't really know what changed my mind. After 27 years of being the odd one in the family, I guess I just decided it was time. I started in secret. I worried I would crush my dad's poor heart if I didn't like the books. On the now historic date of February 14, 2011, I finished. AND I loved it. I think I made my dad proud.
Autumn Love 2021
1 year ago
2 comments:
Wow.
That 2nd video was. Wow.
I can't believe I went my whole life without that gem.
Thank you and congratulations on your accomplishment.
I finished the last Harry Potter yesterday so I feel a cult-book connection between us.
LOL oh my! Those videos... hahaha! The pre-LOTR cartoon silhouette acting was so too much, I cracked up.
Tom's face just froze, like every cell in his face just froze as he watched in horror Leonard Nimoy singing.
Well I think every family has those "I thought it was normal that my dad/family _____" LOL This was a great post, your family is so amazingly awesome.
I'm so glad you liked the book! I think it is hard to jump in and read when so many people have already read it because:
1. The hype
You can’t tell anyone you’re reading it or else they ask you where you are, gasp that you aren’t at a certain part they like yet, wonder what you think (and correct you because you haven’t finished the whole book and thus your opinion is invalid), give their opinions and compare the movie to the book, etc. before you are ready. When I read it, I brought it to school with me (which is what people normally do between classes right?) and people just walking by my bench would sit down and start talking to me. Eeek!
2. Length
Not that long is bad, but if there is one part that is lagging you don't know if you can make it for the long haul and start to cringe.
... and last I don't know about you, but the beginning was a bit hard for me to jump in. It had good parts, but it felt like such a long start until they really got going on their journey. I read Bilbo’s birthday/the first chapter about 3 times and closing the book thinking “I’ll read it later”.
Just my opinion =) Now though I am a total dork about the story, certain lines make me all soppy and emotional.. resulting in this long rambly comment to you (sorry!)
The Silmarillion… I did manage to finish the majority, but some of my books are packed up when we re-did some things and I haven’t found it since. I'm not big on it either, but I think the story about Beren and Luthian is pretty =)
Sorry to chatter on!
I'm just stopping by, rambling, and giving a big I love you! =)
Post a Comment