BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Proposition 8

Alex and I are not political activist. In fact we are not any kind of activist. We like to keep to ourselves, I think mostly everyone knows that. These past couple of months have been different though. There is a proposition that California will soon be voting on that has changed this, proposition 8. I know that most people know that Alex and I will be voting yes, I would like to take a few moments to explain why.
We are not opposed to all people having rights and protection. Proposition 8 does not take away anyone’s rights. Same sex couples have the same rights through civil unions. We feel that marriage is something specific, different, and sacred. Marriage has been defined as being between a man and a woman since the beginning of known history. It is what marriage is.
Of even greater concern to us is the threat that this issue poses to our own rights. The right to teach our family what we feel is the best family make up should be taught in our home and not mandated by the government to be taught to our young children in our schools, especially without parental consent. This has already happened in the state of Massachusetts where children are being taught about same sex marriage as early as kindergarten. Not only are parents not informed, they are not even allowed to opt. their children out as parents can for sex education. This is a fundamental attack on parental rights.



Religious freedom is one of the most fundamental rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution. This freedom is also being attacked. Catholic Charities in Massachusetts stopped adoption services after more than 100 years when faced with the requirement that they adopt children to same sex couples. Religions should have the right to preserve the values that they teach. Moral beliefs should not be legislated by our government.
Being married in your church is very important to most religious people. It is very conceivable that with marriage redefined to include same sex couples, churches could be required by law to marry same sex couples, or face losing the right to perform marriages. In light of the Catholic Charities situation, it even seems very likely. This would severely infringe on our religious freedoms.



We hope you will join us in voting yes on prop 8. For more information you can visit:

protectmarriage.com
Preserving the Divine Institution of Marriage

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Very well said.

Mike said...

It stinks to just have to sit back and watch California vote on something that will effect all of us. I have a thing I call the "celebrity indicator." Whenever I'm wondering which way I should vote, I always look and see which way Hollywood is voting - and do the opposite. In this case though, I didn't have to consult it, but it's a good confirmation that we're on the right track.